Online Cleveland Poker Rooms in OH
Though located in one of the most populated US states, Cleveland isn’t the gambling mecca you might expect it to be.
Its home state, Ohio, was one of the few conservative Midwest states to keep most forms of gaming, including poker, illegal until the late 2000s. It only opened its first casinos and poker rooms a decade ago.
Today, Ohio boasts 11 land-based gaming venues, three in and around Cleveland. It has a state lottery and a few race tracks but still no state-licensed real-money online casinos or poker rooms.
From the legal point of view, the only category in which Clevelanders can bet real money on the web is sports. However, the lack of explicit prohibitions on internet gaming and offshore-based sites yields a way around the mentioned gaming laws.
Read on to learn more about this legislative gap, the legality of poker in Ohio, and the best CLE poker sites.
Best Online Poker Sites in Cleveland, OhioOhio’s unregulated online gaming market leaves Cleveland poker fans with few local options. Those with no interest in sweepstakes and social sites tend to search for poker rooms based overseas.
Due to their geolocation and licensing, these platforms are immune to Ohio regulations, and their top-of-the-line poker content, diverse tournament formats, and up to $6,000 bonus packages make them attractive to players.
If these assets have convinced you to give offshore poker sites a try, you won’t have to look far. We’ve compiled the list of the best poker rooms in Cleveland and included it below. Use the attached links to visit their websites, check their offerings, and choose the right one for you.
My list of the best US poker sites which I consider to be the best rooms to play in 2023:
- BetOnline Poker
- Ignition Poker
- Everygame Poker
- Juicy Stakes Poker
- ACR Poker
- Bovada Poker
- BlackChip Poker
- SportsBetting Poker
100% Legal & Licensed Verified Bonus Mobile Friendly Advertiser Disclosure. Must be +18 to participate.
Is Online Poker Legal in Cleveland, OH?Ohio’s gambling landscape was barren for much of its history. This activity was widely popular but unregulated until the constitutional ban in the 19th century. By changing the law, the government closed the door to most forms of gaming for the next century. The only exception was the state lottery, which Ohio introduced in 1973.
The Buckeye State’s most significant gambling expansion occurred at the close of the first decade of the 2000s. In light of revenue flowing out to neighboring Pennsylvania, Indiana, and Michigan, the authorities organized a ballot initiative called the Ohio Casino Approval and Tax Distribution, Amendment 3. Voters endorsed the measure, and Ohio authorized the construction of four land-based gambling venues in 2009. A year later, then-Governor Ted Strickland signed HB 519, creating a regulatory framework for casino gaming in the state. The first of the four establishments opened in Cleveland in 2012.
OH racetrack owners used this momentum to expand the gambling menu on their properties. The state passed the legislature that approved the placement of slot-like video lottery terminals soon after, and seven locations converted into racinos over the next three years. However, the Ohio gaming revolution ended there.
The 2021 sports betting legalization was the only expansion Buckeye State underwent in the following decade. The authorities approved the launch of 25 retail and online sports betting sites but have not shown interest in virtual casino gaming or web-based poker. Sweepstakes and offshore sites remain the only online poker platforms available to Cleveland residents to date.
If you’re interested in the latter and plan to join one of our top-rated CLE poker rooms above, don’t hesitate to speak to a legal counselor. These activities aren’t prohibited by law, but OH gambling legislation is pretty complex, so you must understand your rights before playing.
Cleveland, OH Poker Laws
To learn more about the legality of poker in Cleveland, review the following legal guidelines:
How to Choose the Best Online Poker Room in ClevelandThe online gaming industry is booming, offering a wide array of sites that accept US players. On the surface, many of these platforms appear trustworthy and appealing to potential members, but that’s not always the case.
To navigate this landscape, our team of experts has developed a fixed set of criteria for online poker site evaluation, listed and explained in the following sections. Check them out and find the perfect poker site for yourself with ease.
Safety and FairnessSafety and fairness are the building blocks of every reputable online gaming site. To test them, we research the following:
- Licensing — A gambling license is electronic documentation that proves a gaming platform’s operations and financial records have shown to be honest and legal. They come from government-authorized organizations specializing in gambling regulations in a specific location. Most legit online poker rooms hold licenses from The Malta Gaming Authority, The Curaçao Control Gambling Board, The Gibraltar Licencing and Regulatory Authority, and so on.
- Security — Most legitimate online gaming sites implement strict security protocols to fend off cybercrime. These measures include firewalls that filter traffic from the internet, 128-bit SSL encryption that safeguards personal and financial data, audit certificates that guarantee the casino’s games are fair, and more.
- Reputation — The best poker platforms enjoy a positive reputation. They have past and current users leaving recommendations and favorable feedback on online review sites and community forums, giving them a strong track record.
Games and TournamentsEntertainment value is the second factor we focus on during online poker room research. To get credible results, our experts create accounts on various platforms, deposit some money, and participate in games and competitions. They ensure these sites:
- Partner with high-profile software developers in iGaming
- Host quality virtual and live cash games
- Provide enough poker content to accommodate multiple gaming sessions
- Don’t limit their selection to popular Hold’em and Omaha variants
- Organize weekend and weekday poker tournaments
- Feature diverse tourney formats, including freebies, knockouts, bounties, and more.
Traffic and LimitsDuring the game and tournament analysis, we also pay attention to poker rooms’ traffic and betting limits. We check the traffic volume the platform generates, determine its peak days and hours, assess the softness of its field, and note its betting options. This data gives us enough material to pick the sites that will cater to players of different skills and budgets no matter when they decide to log in and play.
Bonuses and PromotionsPromotional offers also rank high on our online gambling sites checklist. To find the best Cleveland poker rooms, our experts read through these websites’ promo pages and speak to customer support. They look for platforms with sizable welcome and ongoing bonuses, preferably up to several thousand dollars, and elaborate loyalty programs. However, they also check each promotion’s terms and conditions to verify their wagering requirements and expiration dates don’t make them unattainable.
Payment SystemsNone of the features we’ve described mean much without a smooth and secure payment system. It’s the groundwork that allows you to claim promotions, play live games, participate in tournaments, and collect real money prizes. For that reason, we make sure every online poker site we recommend:
- Accepts at least a dozen deposit and withdrawal methods
- Works with respectable and well-known payment processors
- Features diverse payment solutions, including credit cards, e-wallets, and cryptos
- Imposes low minimum deposit and high maximum withdrawal limits
- Approves and processes all transactions swiftly
- Charges low or no transactional fees
Customer SupportWe close each online poker room evaluation with a customer support check. Our team researches the gaming platforms’ communication channels and office hours, focusing on operators with phone support and 24/7 live chat. They also speak to the agents through all available interaction mediums to ensure they’re responsive, friendly, and helpful. Only the best sites make the final cut.
Benefits of Playing Online Poker in ClevelandCleveland land-based venues offer some advantages, but offshore poker sites are many players’ first choice by a wide margin. The following list will shed light on the most prominent reasons for this preference.
- Cleveland, OH, doesn’t have the richest land-based poker scene. The city features a 30-table live poker room and a few video poker terminals. Offshore platforms are more numerous, thereby offering a greater variety of games and tournaments.
- Online poker rooms offer unparalleled convenience. With a computer or mobile device, you can enjoy virtual and live poker titles 24/7 without leaving your home.
- Unlike their brick-and-mortar counterparts, Cleveland online poker sites aren’t limited by space. They can organize several poker tournaments, offer hundreds of tables, and welcome millions of players at once.
- Burdened by taxes and regulations, land-based CLE poker venues don’t have the means to match offshore sites’ promotion and prize sizes. Best online gaming sites offer a chance to win a share of 5-figure prize pools and collect several thousand-dollar bonuses.
Famous Poker Players From Cleveland, OH,Cleveland might not be able to compete with US’s biggest gambling centers like Atlantic City or Las Vegas, but it has its strengths. Among them are its successful poker players:
Byron Kaverman — Ranking second in the entire state, Kaverman is one of the best poker pros C-town has ever had. He boasts 11 major tournament wins, including WSOP, WPT, and EPT. His current career earnings count over $18 million and include a gold bracelet.
Carlton Peake — CJ, as Peake is known in the industry, totals more than $500,000 in tournament winnings and 37 cashes. However, the global poker events mentioned above aren’t his niche. Peake’s had the most success in MSPT, DeepStack Extravaganza, and various US state poker championships.
Scott Palmer — As a Cleveland native who has been somewhat less active, Palmer ranks well on the list of the top OH players. As of today, he’s earned 11 tournament cashes and accumulated almost $400,000 in poker cash prizes.
Best Land-Based Poker Rooms in Cleveland, OhioThe Cleveland area is home to three land-based gaming venues, about one-third of all the gambling establishments in Ohio. You’ll find poker options in two of these locations, one offering live poker games and the other featuring popular video poker titles. The table below comprises their addresses and offerings.
|Name||Address||Number of tables||Cash games||Tournaments|
|JACK Cleveland Casino||100 Public Sq, Cleveland, 44113||30||Yes||Yes|
|JACK Thistledown Racino||21501 Emery Rd, North Randall, 44128||N/A||Yes||No|
Is online poker legal in Cleveland, OH?
Can I play real-money online poker in Cleveland?
Are there any land-based poker rooms in Cleveland, Ohio?
Do offshore poker rooms have mobile apps?
How old do I have to be to play poker in Cleveland?
Poker Sites by US States
- new hampshire
- new jersey
- new mexico
- new york
- north carolina
- north dakota
- rhode island
- south carolina
- south dakota
- washington dc
- west virginia