Online Boston Poker Rooms in MA
Boston, Massachusetts, may not be among the more prolific US cities when it comes to poker, but its residents do have options for engaging in this popular pastime. The Bay State features three commercial casinos, two of which offer premium poker experiences. One of these, Encore Boston Harbor, is located in northern Boston.
Unfortunately, the state hasn’t legalized online gambling, including poker. Legislators have recently approved in-person and online sports betting, but the legalization of online poker doesn’t seem to be on the horizon. Therefore, Bostonians have to look for it elsewhere.
Luckily, they can legally play this table game on internationally-regulated sites, which is the topic of this article. We’ll discuss the legal status of online poker and reveal the best options for playing this game safely from Boston.
Best Online Poker Sites in Boston, Massachusetts
While the opportunity to work around Massachusetts’ online gambling laws with offshore casinos is an excellent one, not all of these sites are trustworthy. Since these online casinos aren’t locally regulated, there is a danger that they might offer counterfeit software or not pay out your winnings, among other things.
With that in mind, we took it upon ourselves to investigate dozens of these gambling hubs, checking them for security, trustworthiness, software quality, banking, and other essential characteristics. The list below is the result of our thorough vetting process, featuring online casinos that have scored the highest in our tests.
My list of the best US poker sites which I consider to be the best rooms to play in 2023:
- BetOnline Poker
- Ignition Poker
- Everygame Poker
- Juicy Stakes Poker
- ACR Poker
- Bovada Poker
- BlackChip Poker
- SportsBetting Poker
100% Legal & Licensed Verified Bonus Mobile Friendly Advertiser Disclosure. Must be +18 to participate.
Is Online Poker Legal in Boston?
Unfortunately, this is not the case. The legality of online gambling and online poker is not decided on a federal level. Rather, each state has the freedom to determine where it stands on these matters on its own. While some US states have already legalized online gambling, many others, including Massachusetts, aren’t there yet.
The Bay State legislators recently focused their efforts on legalizing online sports betting, with no discussion about changing online poker laws. When the new law is fully implemented, and sportsbook operators launch their sites and apps, the new infrastructure will create opportunities for adding online casinos. Whether the state decides to consider this possibility remains unclear.
Boston, MA Poker Laws
You can find out more about the legal restrictions on online poker and online gambling in general via the following links:
- Massachusetts General Laws — Chapter 23K Section 37
- Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006
How to Choose the Best Online Poker Room in Boston
Playing poker at offshore sites can be a fantastic experience as long as you choose a safe and trustworthy operator. However, considering the size of the offshore gambling market, finding such a poker room can be challenging.
This is why we’ve decided to lay out the most important factors you should consider when selecting a gambling operator. These are the same criteria we used to single out the best offshore poker rooms in our vetting process.
Licensing and SecurityThe most important step is checking a site’s licensing and security. It should have a gambling license from a trustworthy regulatory body from Gibraltar, Malta, or Panama, to name a few. The possession of a gambling license ensures that the site operates within the confines of the law. Also, players know who to turn to in case they have any complaints.
In addition to licensing, it’s also paramount to check whether a site uses the necessary security measures to protect your account. Among them are firewalls and SSL encryption protocols, as they help keep your data and financial information away from prying eyes.
Rake and Player TrafficEvery offshore poker site takes a rake for your participation in a poker game, and these amounts differ from operator to operator. You should choose a site with lower rakes to prevent a hit to your budget over time.
The reverse is true for player traffic. Namely, a poker room should have a large base of players, as this will ensure that you can play at different times, play against peers, and compete at preferred limits.
Bonuses and PromotionsAlmost every offshore poker site offers bonuses and promotions. Naturally, you want to choose a site with the most generous deals, but that’s not all. You should also read the terms and conditions and check the bonus rules to make sure you can actually benefit from it.
Games and TournamentsNaturally, you should go for a poker room that lets you play your favorite poker games. Omaha and Texas Hold’em are standard selections. However, if you’re looking for games like Seven-Card Stud or Razz, you may have to do a little more research.
You also want the site to feature an array of tournaments, like sit-and-go and free-roll variants. When considering this factor, you should also look at the prize pools, which should be generous.
Customer SupportNo matter how reputable or trustworthy a poker site is, problems can always arise. Because of that, it’s paramount that it has professional customer support available 24 hours, seven days a week. At the very least, it should offer a live chat option, if not an email and phone line.
Device CompatibilityIf you prefer to play online poker on the go, you should check whether a poker room has a standalone mobile poker app. If not, it should at least feature a mobile website with an instant-play option.
Banking PolicyFunding your account and withdrawing your winnings is a big part of playing poker on an offshore website. Therefore, you should check whether you can use convenient payment methods like cryptocurrencies and e-wallets. In addition to that, you should also read up on the site’s withdrawal limits, fees, and transaction times.
Benefits of Playing Online Poker in Boston, Massachusetts
Online poker doesn’t appeal to everyone, but it does have a large fan base. Here are some of the reasons why players love it:
- Availability — Unlike some land-based casinos, online poker rooms work around the clock, letting you join poker games and tournaments any time of day and night.
- Convenience — Playing poker online is much more effortless and less time-consuming than playing in a brick-and-mortar casino. You don’t even have to leave your house to do it and, if you want, you can also play via mobile wherever you go.
- Game variety — Online poker rooms typically offer varied selections of games and tournaments, especially if they have a lot of traffic. Not only does this allow you to change things up occasionally, but it also makes it easier to find a suitable game and players of the same ability.
- Lower rakes — When you play online poker, you usually have to pay a lower rake than when you play at brick-and-mortar casinos, saving more money.
- Bonus offers — Offshore poker market is huge, so sites have to try hard to stay ahead of the competition. Their approach to achieving this is by offering competitive bonuses and promotions.
Famous Poker Players From Boston, MA
Some of the most famous poker players from Boston include:
- Anthony Zinno — Zinno has an impressive recorded earnings record of more than $11.2 million. His most notable achievement is winning the 2015 World Series of Poker $25,000 Pot-Limit Omaha Eight Max with 1092 points and $1,122,196 in winnings.
- Brandon Adams — Adams’ current recorded earnings amount to $5,752,563. His most notable achievement is winning the 2017 Poker Masters $50,000 No-Limit Hold’em, taking home $819,000.
- Christopher Tryba — With $2,509,545 in total poker earnings, Tryba is one of the most successful poker players from Boston. He won Event 35 — $2,500 Mixed Hold’em Limit/No-Limit at the 43rd Annual World Series of Poker in 2012, taking home $210,107.
Best Land-Based Poker Rooms in Boston, MA
Boston, Massachusetts, has one poker room located in the prestigious Encore Boston Harbor casino.
|Name||Address||Number of tables||Cash games||Tournaments|
|Encore Boston Harbor||One Broadway, Everett, MA 02149||24||Yes||No|
Is online poker legal in Boston, Massachusetts?
Are there any land-based poker rooms in Boston?
Can I play poker online from Boston, Massachusetts?
Is it safe to play poker on offshore sites?
Do offshore poker rooms have mobile apps?
Poker Sites by US States
- new hampshire
- new jersey
- new mexico
- new york
- north carolina
- north dakota
- rhode island
- south carolina
- south dakota
- washington dc
- west virginia